Posted on October 6, 2018 by admin
If you’re currently faced with the question of whether to go with a build or buy style of shopping cart for your e-commerce website, it’s a good idea to look at the differences between custom vs ready-made shopping carts for ecommerce websites, before making the big leap.
Here is a simple comparison between custom and ready-made shopping carts, which may help you make the right decision:
Custom Shopping Carts For E-Commerce Websites
• Requires development skills
• Guaranteed support from a professional team of developers
• Unlimited number of products can be hosted, without any additional costs
• Enhanced SEO search rankings, as with custom shopping carts you can have more control over the coding of your pages
• Greater scalability, allowing frequent and unlimited customizations in order to meet future business needs
• Ability to customize the shopping cart process, so that it is in alignment with what your customers wants and needs are
Ready-Made Shopping Carts For E-Commerce Websites
• Easy to use
• Quick to install, making it a good option for start-up businesses that need to launch quickly
• Many free options available (some offer paid upgrades)
• Many are compatible with Linux hosting or Windows hosting
• Limited options (limited number of products permissible, ability to change only the website colour, only one photo per product, etc.)
• Access to support via community forums
If you’re a small to medium-sized business, it may make more sense to look at ready-made shopping carts that can be added on e-commerce websites, as everything is already pre-configured and ready to go out of the box. Small to mid-sized businesses don’t typically require a lot of ongoing customizations, unlike larger online enterprise businesses, which are built on complex platforms and need ongoing customizations to meet future business growth requirements.
Whichever shopping cart you do choose to go with, make sure to know all of the advantages and disadvantages of either option and ensure the shopping cart you’re thinking of using is compatible with your hosting platform.